I love going out to eat!! But it sometimes can feel challenging when I’m being conscious of my intake.
I thought I’d share a couple strategies I use about how I keep it clean when I’m out since I get a lot of emails and questions about it.
I call it “Menu Surfing” and I invite you to try it!
Menu Surfing means you don’t always look for a pre-made dish that works for you, as we almost always have to compromise somewhere.
Menu Surfing is scanning the menu looking for ingredients that fit our particular style of eating, and in the most polite way possible, creating a dish that fits our needs.
- Always build your meal around your protein.
- Scan the menu for ingredients that meet your own preferences (ie vegan, vegetarian, paleo, dairy free etc) and choose a good protein option for you.
- Ask how it is prepared if it’s not clear (to avoid a steak drenched in butter – its happened!) Today I ordered salmon, another friend who is vegetarian ordered eggs.
- Next, find your greens or veggies. I opted for a mixed baby greens (NOT lettuce – there are virtually no nutrients in lettuce – the darker green the better) – I could have also gotten a side of whatever vegetables were on the menu.
- Next, get a good carb (especially at breakfast/lunch – that’s when I normally eat most of my carbs as I tend to work out in the morning) I had apples on my salad, my friend ordered a gluten-free toast (yes we were lucky to eat somewhere that was an option).
- Don’t add extra, uneccessary sugar to your body by drinking it. Stick to clean beverages like water, tea, and black coffee – espresso, Americano etc.
Sometimes, you should ignore all of these ideas and have a truly gourmet experience but if you are out and wanting to stick to your clean eating, I hope these ideas help you!
There is a whole chapter in my Body Fuel System devoted to this topic.