I like meals that are:
c) Good for me.
d) Plentiful enough for leftovers!
This delicious recipe satisfies all of my requirements!
I can’t wait to finish my Healthy Entrees cookbook so I can share more recipes like this with you!
Try this out, and feel free to modify or swap ingredients! (PS I called them healthy enchiladas before, and that’s not correct – they are tostadas! But when it comes to cooking, like Julia Child says “you’ve got to have a what the hell attitude!” As long as it tastes good, right?)
Healthy, Easy Tostadas
Yield: about 4-5 servings (2 small tostadas – shown – is 1 serving)
You will need: large and small saute pans, wooden spoon or silicone spatula, cutting board, knife, garlic press (optional)
2 T coconut oil or olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 pint mushrooms, sliced
1 lb ground beef or bison (grass-fed)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1-2 tsp cumin (to taste – you can also add chili powder or other spices – Share your variations below!)
1 tsp sea salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
1-2 tsp Coconut oil
1 Avocado (use 1/3 to 1/2 avocado for your base)
1. Heat saute pan to medium. Add coconut oil.
2. Cook onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook until they start to soften.
3. Add in ground meat and chunk up to brown evenly. Cook for 7 or 8 minutes, stirring regularly or until meat has browned.
4. Add tomatoes and parsley, and stir to combine.
5. Add cumin, salt and pepper and stir in. Remove from heat.
6. Heat your small skillet to medium high and add oil.
7. Quick cook your tortillas on both sides to warm them.
8. Place them on a plate and smash ripened avocado down the center.
9. Top with a few spoonfuls of the meat mixture. Roll them up or serve open faced.