Taste of Fall
It’s officially Fall…and I’ll be featuring some great recipes all month that showcase some of my favorite seasonal foods!
This recipe is basically my Pumpkin Chai Protein Smoothie remixed into a muffin – please don’t be mad at me when you discover that they are not only addicting, but incredibly hard to keep anyone away from long enough for you to get some!
These gluten free pumpkin protein muffins contain all the essential macronutrients, and boast a low-glycemic index.
Made with almond flour, a little raw protein powder, some organic pumpkin puree and a delicious spice blend I concocted, this is a muffin that really sums up what a taste of Fall in your mouth should be.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Protein Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
You will need: muffin tins, foil liners (optional), large mixing bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons
1 1/2 cups almond meal flour
1/2 cup protein powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
Spice Blend (or simply use 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardomom
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cacao powder
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup avocado oil (you can also use olive oil)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup 70% dark chocolate pieces
1/4 cup walnuts
2 T unsweetened coconut flakes
3 T hemp seeds
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Measure all the dry ingredients, including the spice blend into the bowl and mix together.
2. Add in the pumpkin and eggs, and whisk well.
3. Measure oil and honey and beat in.
I’ve tried this with less honey – I like going as low on the sweetener as possible, even the natural kind – but it really seems to compliment the pumpkin best with just this amount. Let me know if you experience anything different.
4. Line muffin tins with foil cups, or grease with cooking oil.
5. Evenly distribute batter. In 12 regular sized muffin cups, you can fill them about 3/4 of the way full.
6. Mix the topping and measure about a tablespoon onto each muffin.
7. Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted comes out clean.
Want to incorporate delicious recipes like this into your complete healthy eating program every week?