Tonight’s dinner was super simple, fresh, flavorful and filled me up with healthy protein, slow digesting carbs and fiber – really a perfect meal to end my day after my super tough morning workout!
Sometimes it’s tough finding fresh fish, so I’ll buy frozen and leave one or two filets in the refrigerator in the morning if I’m planning to have it for dinner and it’s perfect.
I added some fresh basil to my dinner tonight too as you can see – I love using fresh herbs in my cooking whenever possible – if you have one of my meal plans you’re familiar with the delicious weekly pestos!
If you’re curious about basil and why I love it so much, it’s pretty cool how good it is for our bodies. Basil is…
- rich in flavenoids, which protect our cell structure and chromosomes from radiation and oxygen-based damage
- a protector against unwanted bacterial growth thanks to its volatile oils – an anti inflammatory food thanks to a compound called eugenol
- extremely good for your heart health – thanks to its rich beta carotene which is converted into super antioxidant Vitamin A – which protects the lining of blood vessel cells and prevents free radicals from oxidizing cholesterol in the bloodstream.
Baked Fish with Fresh Herb and Vegetable Medley
2 – 4-6 oz servings of fish
1 cup Cooked brown rice – I have done my food prep already so I’ve got some germinated brown rice already made
1 zucchini, diced
8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place your fish on it. I season mine with a bit of fresh ground pepper and sea salt, and a drizzle of fresh lemon. If you’ve never tried haddock, it’s a protein-rich white fish with a very mild flavor and it takes seasoning well. Pop it in the oven and set the timer for 18 minutes.
3. Prep your zucchini and tomato. Bring a steamer pot to a boil and add zucchini about 5-8 minutes before the fish timer goes off. I don’t steam the tomatoes, I like them fresh so just set them aside.
4. Assemble your plates by scooping about 1/2 cup brown rice on the bottom. Top with fish. Add zucchini and then tomatoes on top. Garnish with fresh lemon (I always squeeze a little over everything – it makes the vegetable flavors pop), a little fresh ground pepper and fresh basil.
Let me help set you up with healthy, easy meals so you can take all the planning and guesswork out of the equation!
The Body Fuel System uses my simple, proven Eating Types to make it easy to stay on track. It also gives you healthy, fat-burning recipes and foods you can eat to look and feel your BEST every day!
This is my signature eating system and it contains 6 weeks of done-for-you meal planning and recipe guides! You will not only learn the strategies that have given me long-term success, but also enjoy the time-saving benefits of having it all planned out for you!