I decided the best way to kick off summer was with a 4-part Bikini Tabata Series!
Welcome to Week 1!
Why do I LOVE Tabatas?
For one, they’re super fast. You can get a killer workout done in 4 minutes. I personally like stacking 2-3 tabatas together (we call them “endurance tabatas in Rock Your Life) and being done for the day in less than 15 minutes total.
Second, they’re wicked effective. This style of short-duration exercise has the added benefit of decreasing impact on our joints while still delivering massive results.
In an 8-week tabata style treadmill study, researchers found that their participants improved overall flexibility and anaerobic power while decreasing musculoskeletal impact on their ligaments, joints, and tendons.
- Rock Your Life Members, this is day 3 of your workout plan this week!
- If you’re doing the 90 day challenge, add this in as a bonus workout this week.
- If you’re using Lioness, swap this out for one of your other HIIT workouts this week.
No matter what – leave me a comment below today’s workout and check in! Let me know how you’re doing!
Bikini Tabata Series 1: Full Body
Move 1: Skater Lunges
- Stand tall, and skip to your right, allowing your left leg to come behind you, dropping down into a curtsy lunge with your left knee lined up with your right heel.
- Reach across your body with your left hand for your right foot.
- Straighten and skip to the left, coming into a curtsy lunge on the opposite side.
- Move through this rapidly with good form, being mindful not to pitch your weight forward.
- Mod: Perform alternating reverse curtsy lunges. You can hold onto a chair back for balance and support.
Move 2: Rotating Plank
- Begin in a tall plank position, hands stacked below your shoulders, belly button in and up – no arching back – legs straight.
- Hold briefly, then rotate to your left, raising your right arm. You can stack or scissor your feet. Keep your hips lifting.
- Return to center and rotate to the right, coming into a side plank on the right. Continue to rotate back and forth, maintaining a strong plank hold throughout.
- Modification: Begin in kneeling plank, core engaged, hands stacked below shoulders. You can make soft fists with your hands to align your wrists or hold dumbbells to help keep your wrists aligned.
- Pivot to the right, coming into a side plank with your right hand and right knee down. Hold. Return to center, and repeat on the left.
Move 1: Box Jumps
- Position yourself behind a box, bench, step or any elevated surface. It doesn’t have to be super high.
- Spring forward and up, using your arms to propel you and land lightly on the box.
- Fully extend your hips and then step or jump down.
- Mod: Step onto the box, pressing through your heels. Keep your chest up and core engaged. Alternate the leading leg you step up with.
Move 2: Triceps Dips
- Come into reverse tabletop facing away from your box or raised surface, with your hands behind you on the box.
- Keep your chest open and your elbows parallel to each other as you lower down and press up.
- Keep your knees bent, and engage between your shoulders to help keep your chest open and not put too much pressure on your shoulders.
- Mod: Take a standing or kneeling position holding a water bottle or weight overhead. Lower and lift it toward your back, keeping your elbows in parallel to each other and your chest open. Don’t let your back arch.
More Tabata Workouts for You To Try:
Awesome work!! Do you feel the burn? Check in below and let me know how you do today!