The most requested workouts I get from my readers is “more abs and glutes routines, please!”
I pay attention! So I got my good friend, Coach Chris Lindley to spot me, and today we have a super fun glutes and abs workout you can do in 5 minutes (no equipment needed)!
When it comes to seeing the hard work you do pay off, keep in mind that you can’t show your abs just by doing ab workouts alone – we have to go after body fat systemically (that means all over).
No matter how many crazy core moves you do, you will lose your body fat in the same order you put it on. That order is mostly governed by genetics, and while I know we all often hope that doing 100 sit ups a day is going to finally reveal a slim waistline it’s simply not true.
The sustainable solution to burning off stubborn extra fat is to do a combination of HIIT (high intensity interval training), strength training (using resistance like your own body weight and gravity, or resistance objects like weights) and healthy, consistent whole food eating that features plenty of protein with each meal, whole food carbs, healthy fats, and lots of greens.
5-Minute Glutes and Abs Circuit
(for fast connections, click HD for high quality. And yes, if you’re familiar with Colorado law, you’ll know exactly what we were talking about smelling in the park at the end of the video LOL)
5-minute Glutes and Abs (no equipment)Click to expand and see all workout move descriptions.
Format: Drop Set – 10-1; 2 moves: back to back
Move 1: Standing Knee Crunch to Straight Leg Extension
- This is an amazing complex move that works your glutes, your deep abdominals, your lower back and can be done in several different variations.
- To duplicate the way I’m doing it in the video, hold onto the back of a chair, couch, countertop, wall, etc and curl yourself inward, bring one knee up as you crunch your upper body down to meet it. Bring your knee down and sweep your leg out straight behind you, as high as you can without hurting or straining yourself. Your chest will lift up from the crunch as you perform this move.
- To add some extra challenge to this movement, lift your standing foot onto your toes when you bring your knee into the crunch. For even more challenge, perform a small hop each time you draw the knee in (I do this on the very last round).
- To decrease the difficulty of this movement, do not raise your leg behind you as far. Crunching your knee to your nose while standing against a wall should be easy to accomplish, but the balancing component can be tricky as you come into the lift. Only bring your leg out behind you as far as you feel comfortable. Doing a short leg extension is a fantastic movement that will still work your glutes. Do what you can!
Move 2: Boat Pose Crunch
- This is a core strengthening move that challenges those deep abdominal stabilizers and really targets the lower abs. Boat pose is a traditional yoga position that is held without moving generally, but to make it just a little more challenging, we add the crunch and movement.
- Come into a seated position with your knees bent and close together, feet lifted off the ground. Place your hands on the ground for stability and and shift your weight into your sit bones. Tighten your core and LIFT your chest. This is super important, as collapsing your chest here is what will make your lower back hurt. Straighten you legs as much as you can, forming a “V” and then bring your knees in and out, raising and lowering your upper body to meet them. Keep your torso upright and stable throughout the movement.
- You can modify this by coming into simple leg lifts with legs straight or bent. To do them, lie on your back and tilt your pelvis so your lower back is pressed into the floor. Raise and lower straight legs up 6 inches and down, never bringing them all the way to the floor. You can do this with your knees bent as well to make it easier on your back as you build strength in your core. Remember, it’s more important that you START and DO what you can! You’ll get there – support your body as it develops that strength.
Looking for an entire program that focuses on your abs and booty?
This program will work your entire body, with a special emphasis on the glutes and core. Get started today!