If you’re a fan of avocados and you’re looking for a fast and easy recipe to spice things up, I’ve got something for you!
The protein-rich seared chicken in this recipe pairs perfectly with the fresh flavors from the avocado, tomato and basil topping and is super easy to customize and vary. You can also make it vegetarian by swapping out the chicken for tempeh (instructions included in the recipe).
Your body breaks the fat you eat down into fatty acids for energy, cellular structure, brain function and responsiveness to hormonal signaling (1). Including whole food, healthy sources of fat in your meals will help your body absorb fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) like those found in greens and vegetables.
I included avocados in this recipe because they are a wonderful source of healthy fat which will make you feel nourished and satisfied, especially when you include them with a serving of protein.
They are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA’s) which have been shown to lower cholesterol levels (2). In addition to being a great source of healthy fat, avocados are high in fiber, rich in potassium, vitamin C and vitamin K (3) – all of which contribute to a strong immune system.
You can pair this dish with a green salad, rice, or quinoa or anything else you like! I’d love to hear any swaps or additions you make, so be sure to leave me a comment below.
Yield: 2 servings
You will need: measuring cups and spoons, large mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, cooking spoon, large skillet, tongs, cutting board and knife
Key: T = Tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
For the chicken:
2 (5-6 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts (use 12 oz tempeh for a vegetarian version)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
For the topping:
1 avocado, diced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 T fresh basil, chopped
1/2 lemon, juice of
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
- Place chicken breasts in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil and seasonings to the bowl and toss to combine. Cover and marinate for up to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat it with oil. Sear the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, add all ingredients for the topping to a small mixing bowl. Stir together until well combined.
- Serve chicken breasts with avocado topping.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know in the comments below if you make it and how it turns out.
For time-saving healthy eating with tasty recipes like this, check out the Body Fuel System!
The Body Fuel System uses my simple, proven Eating Types to make it easy to stay on track. It also gives you healthy, fat-burning recipes and foods you can eat to look and feel your BEST every day!
This is my signature eating system and it contains 6 weeks of done-for-you meal planning and recipe guides! You will not only learn the strategies that have given me long-term success, but also enjoy the time-saving benefits of having it all planned out for you!
Learn more right here, and find out why people love this program so much!
- Calder,Philip C. “Functional Roles of Fatty Acids and Their Effects on Human Health”. JPEN. 2015. Web. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26177664/
- Grundy, S M. “Monounsaturated fatty acids and cholesterol metabolism: implications for dietary recommendations”. The Journal of Nutrition. 1989. Web. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2649645/
- Dreher, Mark L and Davenport, Adrienne J. “Hass avocado composition and potential health effects”. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2013. Web. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23638933/