On Saturday morning, we got out one of my friend Diana Keulian’s cookbooks (get her insanely popular Fat Burning Meals now!) and made a variation on one of her amazing gluten free/grain free waffle recipes.
Anna and I are big fans of chocolate and were planning a mega hike up at Red Rocks that afternoon so we made this recipe chocolate and added some vegan protein powder to boost the power of this delicious breakfast.
Chocolate Protein Waffles with Strawberries (gluten-free, dairy-free)
1/2 cup canned coconut milk, full fat
2-3 T pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup blanched almond meal flour
1/4 cup chocolate protein powder
1 T coconut flour
1 T cacao powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Sea salt
1. Blend eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, baking soda and sea salt in the food processor.
2. Add almond meal flour, coconut flour, chocolate protein powder and cacao powder and blend again.
3. Add 2 T maple syrup and taste. Add additional tablespoon if you’d like it a little sweeter. I added 3 total to really bring out the chocolate flavor. My protein powder has some stevia in it, so I wasn’t sure how much I’d need exactly. When it comes to sweetener, even natural ones, add slowly to get just the right taste.
4. Heat your waffle iron and add cooking oil. Ladle or pour in batter. Cook evenly on both sides and pop out with a fork.
5. Toppings: so many possibilities! We topped ours with some grass fed butter, coconut cream (full fat coconut milk), a little maple syrup and some fresh strawberries.