I went to a wedding in a tropical island paradise last week (Cook Islands, New Zealand) and got to sample some delicious and healthy dishes!
I had a one-day stopover in LA on my way back to Denver, just enough time to hit the grocery store on Santa Monica Boulevard and cook up something awesome for myself at my Air Bnb.
Fun celebrity LA sighting, I spotted B.J. Novak (The Office) while I was looking for protein powder.
Here’s what I cooked for myself – inspired by some of those delicious tropical flavors I was sampling last week.
Coconut-Seared Sea Scallops with Kale, Avocado and Salsa
Yield: 2 servings
You’ll need: cutting board, knife, sautee pan, tongs or spatula
5-10 stalks kale, washed, de-stemmed and shredded
1 avocado, sliced in half, then sliced thin
4-8 U-10 sea scallops
1/2 fresh lemon
Fresh homemade salsa:
1 small tomato
1/4 white onion
1 T cilantro
1/4 fresh lime
Dice tomato and onion. Combine in a small bowl with finely chopped cilantro. Squeeze lime over top and mix together. Add a little fresh ground pepper and sea salt if desired.
1. Heat skillet to medium heat and add coconut oil.
2. Evenly sear scallops on both sides.
3. Prep kale and use it as the base of your plates.
4. Divide avocado on each plate.
5. Place scallops over greens and top with salsa.
6. Squeeze a quarter of a lemon over the greens and serve.