As my new residence is the Lonestar State, I thought it fitting that my first Sunday breakfast was Cowboy Eggs.
I first saw these hollowed-out toast breakfast bombs in the movie Moonstruck many years ago, and loved the idea but for some reason had never tried them.
I found a coffee scoop today that looked like the perfect size to hollow out a center, and went to work!
Traditionally, you would butter the bread and cook it like Grilled cheese.
Instead of that, I opted for toasting mine first and coated the pan with a little butter to add the flavor without overdoing it.
1. Use a circular or square cutter (I used a large coffee scoop) to press a hole in the center of the bread. Toast (and I was using Gluten-free Rice-Almond by Garden of Life)
2. In the meantime, sautée some garlic and greens in a little walnut or olive oil.
3. When your toast is done, place it in a heated skillet over medium heat, and crack eggs into the holes. Some of the whites will run over the top and down the sides.
5. Use a large spatula to flip the eggs in toast over and cook on the other side. Timing it is about the same as you’d do for a normal fried egg, since your toast is already browned.
5. When finished, serve over a bed of garlic and greens.
Looking for some help making healthy eating easy?