What do you think about green burgers?
This vegetarian recipe is just delicious and packed with healthy plant protein!
To make the “burger buns” I used sweet potatoes sliced thin and baked. I do this with my sweet potatoes often and use them as “crackers,” buns or simply a yummy side.
You can stack these burgers up with just about anything, but I like using baby spinach or any mixed green, a juicy ripe tomato slice, some spicy mustard and a jalepeno slice as a garnish.
I was making these for my friend Julie, who is an amazing chef AND photographer – all photo credit goes to her in this post!
Edamame Burgers Recipe
You will need: large and small bowl, food processor, measuring cups and spoons, frying pan
Yield: 12 small-medium sized burgers. 6 servings.
3 3/4 cups steamed edamame (30 oz)
1/3 cup onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tsp cumin
2 T jalapeño chopped
1/2 lime, juice of
1 tsp sea salt
fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup milled chia seeds
1/4 cup almond meal flour
2 T oat bran (or flaxseed meal)️
- In a small bowl, mix chia seeds, almond meal flour and oat bran.
- Add 2 3/4 cups edamame, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalepeno, lime, egg, salt and pepper to the food processor, along with half of the chia seed mixture. Blend until evenly mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and pulse the remaining edamame until roughly chopped. Add it to the edamame/chia mixture.
- Add the remaining chia seed mixture and combine everything with your hands so you can assess the texture of your burger mix. If it’s too dry, add a bit of water. If it’s too sticky, add another tablespoon of oat bran or chia seeds.
- Form into patties.
- I freeze half of mine, but it’s up to you. Just wrap in saran wrap, separating the burger patties from each other and place in a freezer-safe ziplock bag.
- Cook burgers over medium heat in a little cooking oil spray on the stovetop, until done.
Sweet Potato “Buns”
You will need: cutting board, knife, baking sheet, parchment paper (optional)
1-2 sweet potatoes – look for a shape that has a fairly even, thick center shape to get the most matching discs
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Wash sweet potatoes well. You can peel them, but I do not.
- Slice sweet potatoes thin, as shown. What’s the most important is to slice them evenly, so they bake together.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay the slices out.
- Bake for 18-22 min, or until a fork easily pierces them. Remove from heat and allow to cool. They store well in a container in the refrigerator.