It’s time to #stopdropandbettyrock with today’s Full Body Ladder Workout!
This workout format is one of the most top-requested training styles in Rock Your Life (my online home workout challenge program) – it’s challenging, it’s fun, and it’s EFFECTIVE!
If you haven’t tried a ladder-style workout before, you’ll soon see why it’s so much fun! We’ll be building our endurance today and working our body head to toe, while mindfully tuning in to our mind-body connection.
For this workout, I suggest you have something elevated nearby like a chair, box or stair (but no worries if you don’t – I’ll show you variations) as well as something to use for resistance.
You can get creative here – I usually use full water bottles or light dumbbells, but you can use just about anything with some weight to it.
Let’s #bettyrock this!
Full Body Ladder Workout
Format: Ladders – 7 rounds; in each round, you will add on the moves from the previous round, as shown below. You’ll do each move for 0:30. Each round gets longer as you add moves.
Move 1: Alternating Curtsey Lunge (0:30)
- Chest is open, shoulders are engaged, hold your weights on your shoulders (optional)
- Step your right foot back and behind you, bringing your right knee directly behind your left heel.
- Push into your left foot as you stand and drive your right knee up to meet your right elbow.
- As you step back down with your foot, come into a sumo squat and repeat on opposite side.
- Bonus Move: Shoulder Press: As you step back into your lunge press your weighted object overhead.
Move 2: Bentover Rows (0:30)
- Come to standing, holding your weights or weighted objects.
- Engage your core (draw your belly in and up toward your spine slightly or imagine the tension you’d add to your abdomen to brace for a punch in the gut) and hinge forward at the hips to a 45-degree angle, allowing the weights to hang in front of your body.
- Add a slight engagement between the shoulder blades so your shoulders aren’t rotating forward while you’re holding the weights.
- Draw your elbows smoothly up and back toward the ceiling, focusing on lifting together and lifting to the same height. Be sure not to use too heavy of a weight as you’re learning these.
- Bonus Move: Reverse Flye: Hinge forward to 45 degrees, and engage between your shoulders so they’re not rounding forward.
- Turn your pinkies up slightly so that as you lift your weights up to the side, the pinkies come toward the ceiling.
Move 3: Kneeling Push Up Cross Under Crunch (0:30)
- Come down to your mat into a kneeling push-up position. Make sure your back is flat, core engaged.
- Lower your body down by extending your elbows to the sides. When you come back up, extend your left leg and right arm, then do an underbody cross-crunch, bringing opposite elbow to knee.
- Repeat the push-up and alternate sides.
Move 4: Tricep Dips (0:30)
- Come into reverse table top facing away from your box or raised surface, with your hands behind you on the box.
- Keep your chest open and your elbows parallel to each other as you lower down and press up.
- Keep your knees bent, and engage between your shoulder blades to help keep your chest open and keep pressure off your shoulders.
- Mod: Take a standing or kneeling position holding a water bottle or weight overhead. Lower and lift it toward your back, keeping your elbows in parallel to each other and your chest open. Don’t let your back arch.
Move 5: In and Outs (0:30)
- Come to a seated position on your tailbone with your hands behind you.
- Engage your abdominals as you lean back slightly and lift your knees to chest level.
- Extend your legs out straight, then draw the knees back into your chest.
Move 6: Sumo to Alternating Side Knee (0:30)
- Start with your feet hip-width apart, engage your core then squat down.
- As you ]come back up drive your right knee up and to the side. Repeat alternating sides for the prescribed time.
- Mod: Come down to your elevated box or surface
Move 7: Cross Cross Jump Squat (0:30)
- Stand with feet slightly wider than hip distance apart.
- Engage your core and shoot your booty back behind you as though you were going to sit on a chair – keeping the weight in your heels and chest up.
- Drive your heels down to power up to jump, landing lightly on your feet.
- As you land, drive your right knee up and across your midline, rotating your torso as you bring your left elbow to meet your knee. Repeat on the other leg, then back to the squat.
- Mod: Take the jump out to lessen the impact, instead performing a body squat with good form. Only squat as deeply as you can comfortably go without bending forward at the waist.
Great job, Rockstar!
Leave me a comment below to let me know where you’re working out from today, how you’re doing with your fitness goals, and what I can do to help you reach them – I love hearing from you!
How about new workouts to do daily, from anywhere?
…in my epic home gym that has new classes every week, 30-day Challenges to keep you on track with a program, your own personal workout library, over 300 healthy recipes, an exclusive support group, access to the Team Betty Rocker coaches, and so much more!