I was experimenting with my Bulletproof collagen protein powder the other day and came up with this healthy protein snack that also doubles as a satisfying dark chocolate treat!
You don’t need to bake anything, you can just melt all the ingredients together, chill briefly, and you’re done.
If you haven’t played around with cacao butter before, this is a delicious, natural room-temperature solid oil that’s extracted from the cacao bean. In my recent post, Healthy Fat 101, I was talking about some quality fat sources – and cacao butter is definitely one I recommend.
I used a small silicone mold tray for mine, but you could literally use anything – a mini muffin tin, ice cube trays, anything that gives your chocolate a shape.
Healthy Dark Chocolate Fudge
Here’s what you’ll need:
- a small pot
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mold for chocolate
Yield depends on your mold. Mine made about 9 small chocolate squares. Personally, I ate about 2 as a serving.
- 1/2 cup cacao butter
- 3 T cacao powder
- 1 T vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 2 tsp maple syrup or 3-5 drops stevia to taste (I like my dark chocolate on the less-sweet end, so this is a great place to start– you can add increments until you hit *your* perfect sweet spot)
- 2 scoops (1 serving) collagen protein
- Add cacao butter and cacao powder to small pot and melt over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Mix in vanilla and collagen protein.
- Add sweetener and stir in. Remove from heat.
- Pour into your mold of choice and cover and chill until set (about 30 min). The chocolates will stay solid at room temperature once they harden, but I like to keep them in the fridge for freshness. Just keep them in a small air-tight container.
Do you love dessert and want more healthy options like this?
Did you know? My 30-Day Challenge Meal Plan comes with FOUR BONUS COOKBOOKS, one of which is dedicated entirely to Healthy Desserts! Let me know which recipe is your favorite.