How does some hearty and healthy tomato basil soup with shredded chicken and rice sound on a cold winter day?
Sounded pretty awesome to me, so I made some. 🙂
This is a staple in my kitchen because it’s so easy to make, keeps well, and is packed with healthy nutrients.
Did you know that a single tomato can provide 40% of the daily recommended amount of Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is an important antioxidant that helps prevent cancer-causing free radicals from damaging our body’s systems.
Tomatoes are also a great source of potassium and iron. Potassium is vital in maintaining nerve health, and iron is essential for our blood health.
I topped this delicious soup with some avocado, cherry tomatoes, and a little white pepper, and had it for lunch over a scoop of rice.
Tomato Basil Chicken Soup
1 yellow onion, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup avocado oil (olive oil also excellent)
2 cans diced tomatoes (I use 14.5 oz cans of Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes – they’re amazing)
1 cup vegetable stock or broth
1 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1/4-1/2 cup fresh basil
2 cups pre-baked and shredded chicken
- Chop onion and mince garlic. Add it to a large saute pan with oil and cook on medium til onions are getting translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes. Cover and cook for 10-12 min, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender (I use a ladle for this operation so it doesn’t spill).
- Blend to make a nice even consistency.
- Add stock and milk. Blend until smooth. Add additional liquid to adjust consistency.
- Add in basil and pulse a few times to roughly chop it in.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a serving of chicken to a bowl (I use about 1/3-1/2 cup) – a scoop of rice or quinoa too is awesome and makes for a more hearty meal.
- Pour soup over and top with garnishes. I like a little fresh chopped basil, avocado and cherry tomatoes. For a spicier soup, try adding some crushed chili flakes or jalapeno!
Give it a try, see how you like it! It’s so easy to make.
The Body Fuel System uses my simple, proven Eating Types to make it easy to stay on track. It also gives you healthy, fat-burning recipes and foods you can eat to look and feel your BEST every day!
This is my signature eating system and it contains 6 weeks of done-for-you meal planning and recipe guides! You will not only learn the strategies that have given me long-term success, but also enjoy the time-saving benefits of having it all planned out for you!
Story, Erica N. et. al. “An Update on Health Effects of Tomato Lycopene.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. NCBI, 4 December 2013. Web. 28 December 2015. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3850026/>