Let’s build strength and work our entire body with this focused, low-impact (but highly effective) workout!
In this workout I’ve combined a series of complex exercises (moves where you’re doing more than one main exercise – like the prisoner squat to hinged row) with compound exercises (one move that works multiple muscles like the lunge) for the ultimate time-saving workout.
To really up the intensity (even while moving at a steady pace) add resistance. I’ve got dumbbells for today’s workout, and you could use the same or any weighted objects you have around the house like water jugs, laundry jugs or anything you can easily hold onto.
For workout recovery I’m drinking Rock and Restore during this workout – it’s my new free-form Essential Amino Acid formula. “Free form” means the aminos are freely available to go where they’re needed and do the most good.
Dietary protein you eat in your meals (and drink in a protein shake) gets broken down into amino acids, then it makes its way to your body tissues. Free form aminos however are readily available for uptake and can support muscle protein synthesis, recovery and repair, your brain function, hormone and enzyme production and more – and are great to use during, before or after a workout. Read more right here.
Ready to work out? Let’s jump right in and smash this together!
One-off workouts are great, but having a plan to follow is even better! Check out Home Workout Domination for a total home workout program that uses minimal equipment and will get you on track to feeling and looking your best!
Low Impact Full Body Strength TrainingClick to expand and see all workout move descriptions
Equipment: Weighted Objects (water bottles, dumbbells, household objects), Elevated Surface
Format: Perform each move for the prescribed time and repetitions and repeat for 3 rounds
Move 1: Prisoner Squat to Hinged Row (8-12)
- Begin in a kneeling position on your mat with your chest up tall and weights in your hands.
Step your feet up, one at a time to come to standing.
- Once standing, hinge forward at the waist to be at 45 degrees, and engage between your shoulders so they’re not rounding forward, allowing your dumbbells to hang beneath your chest and keeping your gaze neutral.
- Perform a row by pulling the weights up to your sides while keeping your shoulders away from your ears and squeezing your back muscles.
- Lower the weights back down, and return to your kneeling position by stepping one knee down at a time and repeat.
Move 2: Rotating Plank Push up with Hip Dip Crunch (1:00)
- Begin in a tall plank position with your core engaged and shoulders stacked over your hands.
Rotate to one side, bringing one arm up to the sky and your leg extended out.
- Drop your hip down towards the ground, keeping your core engaged. When you come back up, bend your knee and your arm, drawing them together to do a side crunch.
- Rotate back to a tall plank and perform a push up by lowering yourself down toward the mat, bending your elbows and keeping your shoulders away from your ears
- Once back in your tall plank position, repeat the hip dip crunch on the other side.
- MOD: Perform this move from an elevated surface or from a kneeling position.
Move 3: Alternating Lunges (8-12 each side)
- Start with your feet hip-width distance apart and your core engaged.
- Take a big step forward with your right leg and begin bending your back knee until it nearly touches the ground in a 90 degree angle.
- Lower your body until your right thigh is parallel to the floor (ensure your knee is not shooting out over your toe and maintain an upright chest).
- As you stand up, push through your front heel and come to standing.
- Repeat on the other leg.
Move 1: Slow Burpee to Double Renegade Row (8-12)
- Begin standing with your core engaged and chest up tall.
- Bend your knees and plant your hands on the floor or mat in front of you (hands stacked directly below shoulders) and jump or step your feet back into a tall plank position, holding your belly button in and up to keep your core engaged.
- In this tall plank position, perform 2 rows with your right arm by pulling your elbow straight back along your body and squeezing the base of your shoulder blade and then switch arms.
- Slowly return your right arm back to the ground and repeat with your left arm.
- Jump or step your feet back into your hands and come back to standing, loading your weight in your heels.
- MOD: Perform this on an elevated surface.
- Optional: Place weighted objects on the ground in front of you where your hands are going to be and row with weighted objects.
Move 2: Isolated Wall Sit Bicep Curls (8-12)
- Begin standing with your back supported against a wall.
- Holding your weighted objects with your palms facing you, pull your shoulder blades back and down with your core engaged.
- Keeping the upper arms stationary, perform a bicep curl with both arms by curling the weights up to your shoulder while contracting your biceps.
- Reverse the movement to return to your starting position and repeat.
Move 3: Single Leg Hip Thrusters (8-12 each side)
- Position your back on an elevated surface (couch or chair). The edge of the surface should be at the base of your shoulder blades. Bend your knees and have them at 90 degrees.
- Straighten your right leg to be parallel to your left.
- Drop your hips down toward the floor and then press back up by driving through your left heel to lift your hips to the ceiling, squeezing your glutes and keeping a tight core.
- Drop your hips back down toward the floor with control and repeat. Perform all reps on one side before switching.
- MOD: Perform this on the ground rather than an elevated surface or do this with both feet down rather than single leg.
- Optional: Add weight to your hip crease to increase the resistance.
Great job Rockstar! Don’t let anything stop you from taking care of your body in whatever way is right for you today!
Ready for more? I’ve got you covered!
The Home Workout Domination program is perfect if you’re looking for a time-saving resistance training plan to do at home, at the gym, or on the road – it will torch body fat, and tighten and strengthen your legs, glutes, abs, and arms – total body domination!