Today I’ve got a quick lower body blast that will build strength and endurance and get you all fired up!
Why do resistance training?
- Resistance training (working your body against a force or load) increases your muscular strength.
- Strengthening your muscle tissue boosts your immune system, increases your fat burning potential, supports your joints, and can even improve your sleep!
Why do plyometrics (explosive cardio)?
- Plyometrics are sometimes called “reactive training” as in how your body reacts to the ground.
- Explosive jumping moves like these in short bursts are a great way to load and strengthen your muscles and support your joint health – plus boost your cardiovascular capacity.
If you happen to be a woman over 40, these 2 types of training are especially beneficial for you in supporting muscle development and fat loss, and they’re great for women of all ages.
Protein is a key nutrient that supports cognitive function, hormone and enzyme function, your immune system, AND muscle protein synthesis!
When you’re having a busy day, making a quick protein shake with my delicious Chocolate Protein Powder can help ensure you’re getting enough of this important nutrient – alongside your whole food meals.
Now grab some items for resistance – like water bottles, laundry jugs or dumbbells and let’s get right to it!
If you enjoyed that workout and are looking for a sequenced plan that will make the most of your training time, the Quick Strength and Shred Challenge in Rock Your Life is perfect for you!
This power sculpt challenge will work your entire body, giving you balanced strength circuits combined with fast plyometrics. Plus energizing power yoga and restorative yoga to balance it all out! All in just 15-20 minutes a day!
Lower Body Power BlastClick to expand and see all workout move descriptions
Equipment: weighted objects (dumbbells, water bottles, jugs or other)
Format: For Tabatas, perform each move for 0:20 with 0:10 rest between. Repeat for 4 rounds, a total of 4:00. Once complete move on to the strength circuit. Perform the strength circuit for the prescribed reps for 3 rounds.
- Place a yoga block (or any other barrier-type object) in the middle of your mat and stand on the far left side of the mat with your knees bent.
- Power through your feet to explode over the barrier to the right (use your arms to propel you).
- Land lightly with a braced core and evenly distribute your weight along each entire foot while allowing your hips and knees to bend to absorb force. Your knees should be in line with your toes as you set up to jump back to the left.
- Repeat for allotted time.
- MOD: Make this low impact by taking out the jump and step one foot at a time over the barrier, coming into a squat on the other side. Keep your core braced and your chest elevated, and drive through the heels to stand. Repeat step over and squat for allotted time.
- Begin standing in the middle of your mat with core braced.
- Bend your knees slightly to power up your jump through your heels and jump up, bringing your arms out and up and legs out wide so that you end in a star position in the air.
- Land softly on the balls of your feet with your feet at about hip width distance apart.
- Repeat for allotted time.
- MOD: Make this move low impact by removing the jump and alternating stepping each foot out and back in.
Stay strong, healthy and fueled for your active lifestyle!
My delicious chocolate protein supports your healthy, active lifestyle and nourishes your body with 21 grams of organic plant-based protein (which contains all the essential amino acids).
Pistol Squat to Box (8-12 each side)
- Begin standing with your feet hip distance apart, core braced, and shoulders back and down in front of an elevated surface (couch, ottoman, chair, etc)
- Lift your left foot and find strength and balance through the standing leg.
- With a braced core, send your hips back towards the elevated surface, keeping your chest up tall (don’t bend forward), weight back in your heel and right knee tracking in line with your toes.
- Squat all the way down to your box or chair to a seated position.
- Power through your right heel and posterior chain to return to standing, squeezing your glutes at the top.
- Repeat for your max reps and switch sides.
- MOD: Use a chair or a wall to hold on to and find more stability.
Hip Thrusts with Pulse (8-12)
- Sit yourself on the mat in front of your bench (or couch/chair/ottoman) and place a weighted object on your hip creases.
- Press yourself up with your elbows and feet to position your back against the elevated surface; the edge of the surface should be at the base of your shoulder blades. Your knees should be aligned over your ankles, with your feet planted on the mat.
- Brace your core and drive through your heels to lift your hips and weighted objects towards the ceiling, knees tracking in line with the toes, squeezing your glutes.
- Pause here to pulse your thrusts three times at the top of the move..
- Drop your hips back down toward the mat with control and repeat for your max reps.
- MOD: Perform this exercise without weighted objects.
Sumo Squat Calf Raise Series (1:00)
- Holding a weighted object in both hands at your shoulders, begin standing with your feet wider than hip distance, allowing your feet to turn out naturally.
- Engaging between your shoulder blades to keep the weights from rounding your shoulders, brace your core and send your hips back, keeping your chest up tall (don’t bend forward), weight back in your heels and knees tracking in line with your toes.
- Once in a sumo squat position, complete 5 pulses with your heels on the mat.
- Pause and briefly hold the sumo squat position strong and steady.
- Lift your right heel off of the mat, pulsing three times, then drop your heel, switching to a lift of your left heel and pulse three times.
- Continue alternating heel lifts and pulses for allotted time.
- MOD: Remove the weighted objects and perform this exercise with bodyweight only.
How do you feel after that workout? Check in with me and let me know and tell me one way you are taking care of your body today.
Looking for support and a consistent plan to follow? Check out what Rock Your Life, (my home workout studio and women’s fitness community) has to offer! I’m so proud of Cylee for what she’s accomplished as she’s been rocking her fitness journey for the past 2 years!
“I’ve been hanging out on the down low being inspired by you all! These results are a two year journey, but I wanted to share them because I think too often we give up on ourselves because we are not seeing results immediately. At least that’s how I’ve been. Lol Anything WORTH doing takes time! It takes consistency. It takes determination.
Betty Rocker is my favorite so far. I highly recommend her programs and products.
The feature where they Email you your workout every morning is freaking genius! It literally gives me something to look forward to. I love her and all the coaches!” – Cylee B. Rock Your Life member.
One-off workouts are great, but having a PLAN to follow is even better!
Join my online home workout studio and women’s fitness community, Rock Your Life, and get access to 30-day Challenges, a powerful support network unlike any other, new workout classes added every week you can do from the comfort of your own home – and share the journey while we help you reach your goals!