Ratatouille is one of my all-time favorite vegetable medleys, seasoned with fresh herbs. It’s great with any added protein, or on its own.
I like to make it any time of the year – but especially Fall – and eat it with eggs, as a side dish at dinner and even cold as a quick snack.
I get my recipe straight from the Joy of Cooking, here is my assembly method.
Yield: 8 servings
You will need: large dutch oven, knife, cutting board, wooden spoon, measuring cups and spoons
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb) peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 pound zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced onions
2 Large red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch squares
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, chopped fresh tomatoes or one 14-oz can diced tomatoes, drained (I use fresh)
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme (I use more)
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
1. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium – high heat.
2. Add the eggplant and zucchini and cook, stirring until golden and just tender (10-12 minutes).
3. Remove the vegetables to a plate and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions and 2 T olive oil and cook, stirring until the onions are slightly softened.
4. Add the bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender but not browned, 8-12 minute.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the tomatoes, thyme and bay leaf.
7. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the eggplant and zucchini back to the pan and cook until everything is tender, about 20 minutes more. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Stir in the basil.
The fresh basil is the best part. Once it sits in the fridge overnight if you don’t serve it all right away, it tastes even more amazing.
Looking for some healthy, easy recipes and a plan to make your life easier week by week?
Check out my meal plans for done-for-you planning that includes grocery lists, daily eating guides, options for prep and healthy cookbooks!