Welcome to The Betty Rocker Show, the place to be to nourish your mind, love your body, and rock your life.
I’m so glad you’re here to listen to today’s conversation with Amisha Klawonn, Embodiment and Sleep Coach, Yoga Therapist, and Integrative Physical Therapist.
We’re talking about many of the areas new moms struggle with in trying to do it all, and valuable tools all women can use for becoming more centered and feeling more embodied and peaceful in the midst of a busy life.
Amisha applies many aspects of women’s health in her coaching practice, including polyvagal theory and hormone health, and draws from her integrative physical therapy expertise in the areas of visceral mobilization and holistic care for the whole person.
She empowers people to create their visions for their lives, igniting transformation from the inside out – and in today’s conversation, we are getting into many practical tips you can use in your life to bring more balance, rest and self love into your day.
“I work with exhausted women who drink too much coffee during the day, have wine to wind down at night, and struggle to sleep well and wake up feeling refreshed each morning.
The women I work with are interested in living life in the present, taking time to take care of themselves so that they can provide love and care to their families, managing stress and overwhelm by changing the way they to react, noticing what brings them joy and following that path, and are ready to make a shift.”
In this episode, you’ll discover:
Amisha’s journey (2:09)
- Amisha’s journey as a new mom
- Post partum depression
- Physical complications
The importance of the connective tissue (8:13)
- Understanding fascial connective tissue
- Trigger point referrals
- Amisha’s experience with visceral manipulation
When things don’t go according to plan (12:20)
- Birthing plans
- The aftermath of a birth plan gone awry
- When everyone else has an opinion
Today’s Podcast is brought to you by The Body Fuel System, my 6 week easy eating system! This customizable eating plan is designed to sculpt your body from the inside out with done for you daily menus, grocery lists, simple meal prep tips and so much more!
Prioritizing rest (19:17)
- Sleeping your way to success
- Productivity culture and its ramifications
- Performance and productivity
- How rest supports and enhances everything else we do
Strategies for cultivating rest (22:33)
- Making the commitment
- Rituals and routines
- The damaging impact of being disconnected to our body
The sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system (26:40)
- The impact of stress on our system
- Not accepting aging as an excuse
- The impact of cortisol
Today’s podcast is brought to you by ROCK YOUR LIFE, my online home workout studio and uplifting women’s fitness community where you can take as many 30-day challenges as you like for consistent, sustainable progress. For added variety, we offer 5 new classes each week, healthy recipes, a private women’s only support community and MORE!
Steps to take for moving mindfully through the day (33:33)
- Using wake time or before bed to check in
- 5 minute journal app
- Daytime rituals for tuning in
Cultivating worthiness (37:47)
- Inner child work
- Beliefs we carry through life
- EMDR therapy
- EMDR Readiness Course (online course created by the therapist I worked with personally)
Dealing with burnout (43:16)
- “Shoulding” all over ourselves
- Fatigue from being overloaded
- The sleep vacation reset: Amisha’s free sleep program
- The oura ring
- Garmin Vivosmart 4
- All or something
This Week’s Challenge [50:51]
Take a sleep vacation! For 5 days, prioritize rest.
- Get to bed on time each night.
- In the morning, get sunlight in your eyes. These actions will help to reset the circadian rhythm.
- Do some mindful morning movement (here are 2 ideas from my instagram – one and two).
- Check in with your body throughout the day, using timers to remind yourself to check in. Journal about emotions that come up during these check ins.
Connect with Amisha Klawonn
Coming up next: Coming up next, I’m excited for you to hear from my good friend Aaron Alexander, a pioneering manual therapist, author and movement coach who is the founder and creator of the Align Method which is a guide to using posture and body alignment to build strength, achieve peak performance, reduce pain, and find a new sense of confidence in yourself.
He’s sharing some really accessible, practical and amazing tips with us in this next conversation – so stay tuned!
Love The Betty Rocker Show? We do too!
Share it with your friends, and subscribe on your favorite podcast
player to be alerted when new shows drop!
ABOUT THE BETTY ROCKER SHOW:
Join me for open and thought provoking discussions about health, fitness, and how to stop undermining ourselves – and start taking meaningful action that makes us role models to others…
….and, listen in on my intimate conversations with amazing thought leaders, health care professionals, athletes and celebrities to learn their secrets and insights for overcoming life’s challenges, living longer, healthier, stronger and more #flawsome lives.
New shows are released every other week during Season 2 of The Betty Rocker Show.