Welcome to The Betty Rocker Show, the place to be to nourish your mind, love your body, and rock your life.
There is no question that our 4 Pillars of health are essential in supporting our body through time, but if you’re finding that no matter what you do you still can’t seem to see results or are experiencing signs from your body that might be chalked up to the “ageing process” you’re not alone.
As women, our hormones are constantly changing from puberty to pregnancy, and as we slowly leave our reproductive years behind. No matter what stage of life you’re at, if your hormones aren’t balanced the mechanisms that govern your fat storage, energy levels, mood, ability to think and focus, muscle production and so much more simply won’t be as effective.
In today’s episode I’m digging into some of the key hormones we should all be aware of as women like estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, adrenaline and cortisol – what their key functions are, how they serve us throughout our lives, and signs and symptoms of imbalance so you can be proactive in your health care.
If your hormones are your body’s symphony orchestra, we want to make sure that all the instruments that make it up are tuned and in balance so that the “song” your cells and organs are listening to is harmonious and continues to add years to your life – and life to your years!
In this episode you’ll discover:
The importance of understanding how your hormones work (0:15)
- Your symphony of hormones
- Being empowered in your health journey
- Your 4 pillars of health
- Understanding why your body isn’t responding
My experience with birth control (2:48)
- How birth control works
- What happened when I got off the pill
- How the pill affected my mind
- How the pill affected my body
My experience with adrenal fatigue (4:58)
The effects of perimenopause (6:59)
- What is perimenopause
- Symptoms you may experience
- Working with a Functional Doctor
How hormones work (8:54)
- Their essential processes
- Hormone receptors
- Where estrogen is made
- What estrogen effects
- The importance of balanced estrogen in your body
- How estrogen impacts your monthly cycle
- How estrogen impacts menopause
- The impact of excess estrogen in your body
- How estrogen and progesterone work together
- What progesterone does
- How progesterone impacts your monthly cycle
- How the pill impacts progesterone
- Lifestyle factors that impact your hormone levels
- Stress and its role on your hormones
- Sleep and its role on your hormones
- The essential role of testosterone
- How testosterone impacts your ability to build lean muscle
- The effects of sugar and alcohol on testosterone
- Side effects of low levels of testosterone
- Where testosterone is made
- The importance of DHEA
- What DHEA does for us
- How low levels of DHEA can impact you
- How your hormones impact body fat
Adrenaline and the adrenal glands (19:28)
- The conductor of your hormones
- What the adrenal glands do
- How B vitamins support your adrenals (Serenicalm – coming soon)
- How adrenaline works in your body
- The damaging effects of chronic low grade stress
- The importance of cortisol
- How cortisol impacts your circadian rhythm
- How cortisol impacts your stress
- How cortisol impacts your body fat levels
- Symptoms of a cortisol imbalance in your body
- Why it’s important to be mindful of your stress pillar
How to be your own health advocate (24:00)
- The importance of dialing in your 4 pillars of health
- The importance of blood work and other tests
- Why it’s important to speak with your doctor
- How to empower yourself with affordable lab testing
Love The Betty Rocker Show? We do too! ❤️ Share it with your friends, and subscribe on your favorite podcast player to be alerted when new shows drop!
Love The Betty Rocker Show? We do too!
Share it with your friends, and subscribe on your favorite podcast
player to be alerted when new shows drop!
ABOUT THE BETTY ROCKER SHOW:
Join me for open and thought provoking discussions about health, fitness, and how to stop undermining ourselves – and start taking meaningful action that makes us role models to others…
….and, listen in on my intimate conversations with amazing thought leaders, health care professionals, athletes and celebrities to learn their secrets and insights for overcoming life’s challenges, living longer, healthier, stronger and more #flawsome lives.
New shows are released on a weekly basis during each season of he Betty Rocker Show. Shows alternate between solo episodes with me, and interviews with guests.
- Reed BG, Carr BR. “The Normal Menstrual Cycle and the Control of Ovulation.” Endotext. 2000. Web. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279054/
- Holesh JE, Bass AN, Lord M. “Physiology, Ovulation.” StatPearls. 2020. Web. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441996/
- De Meyts P. “The Insulin Receptor and Its Signal Transduction Network.” Endotext. 2016. Web. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK378978/
- Chen, Liang et al. “Sugar-sweetened beverage intake and serum testosterone levels in adult males 20-39 years old in the United States.” Reproductive biology and endocrinology. 2018. Web. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6015465/