I woke up today NOT feeling like a rockstar.
I was wishing it was Sunday again so I could sleep in and have one more day to catch up on everything around my house.
Bad moods are the worst. They sap our energy, creativity, drive and sometimes cause us to engage in behavior that isn’t healthy.
Hello, snacks I’m not even hungry for? Self-indulgent movie watching when I should be studying? Bring it on.
Look, we can’t feel like Mary Effing Sunshine 24/7 but you know those times when you catch yourself feeling uninspired or just down on life for no good reason – that’s the time you need to pull out this game plan.
Keep this post bookmarked so you can push the RESET button anytime – they came straight out of my Jedi bag of tricks and you WILL feel the power of the Force within you. 🙂
One of the most effective ways I know to change our mental state is to get physical. If you’re at work, you can still do this – just take off your heels 🙂
I use moves like the full body extensions. You don’t need anything special to do this, just shoot your butt back, keep your chest up, touch the floor and then fully extend, squeezing your butt and reaching your arms up overhead.
You can turn it into jump extensions if you have a giving surface to land on. Land softly. Do about 10-15 and notice if you feel any different. No? Do 10-15 more.
While you’re moving, just be in your body. Notice how the movement feels. Do you feel strong? Because you are.
Your body is pretty amazing – it does all kinds of things like carry us around all day, and it’s completely dependent on you to take care of it. Filling it up with junk is going to make it run like a rusty old Chevy, sputtering exhaust and creaking around.
So follow step #2 to treat it like the Ferrari it is and….
2. Make a Green Smoothie
Any green smoothie is fine. You can get more of my recipes for great smoothies packed with superfoods in each of my meal plans.
Today, I put these 6 simple ingredients in my smoothie:
1. Mixed Greens (there was spinach, baby kale and romaine) – about 1.5 cups
- Leafy greens are full of vitamins, minerals, and disease-fighting phytochemicals. They are rich in fiber – important for weight loss and weight maintenance, because it keeps you feeling full- and helps control your hunger. Fiber lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, and reduces blood-sugar spikes by slowing how fast carbs are absorbed into your bloodstream after eating. This lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Leafy greens also contain a lot of water, which helps keep you hydrated and contributes to beautiful skin and hair – BONUS 🙂
2. Strawberries (5)
- Strawberries are an awesome source of Vitamin C, the antioxidant responsible for boosting our immune system and protecting us from free radical damage. Vitamin C from natural sources plays an important role in strengthening the cornea and retina of the eye, and protects against free radical damage to the eyes caused by UV radiation from the sun. Strawberries also contain ellagic acid, a compound that prevents collagen destruction and the inflammatory response – 2 major factors in the development of wrinkles. Hello, beautiful skin!
3. Banana (1)
- Bananas are high in fiber, rich in potassium and a great source of Vitamin B6. What’s in it for you? Potassium helps regulate our blood pressure and keeps our heart functioning right. It’s also used by our bones to reduce calcium excretion – important especially as we get older and want strong bones! Vitamin B6 contains this cool compound called Pyrodoxine, which keeps heart disease at bay by lowering blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels. It can also alleviate PMS symptoms (notably bloating, skin blemishes and breast pain).
4. Fresh Lemon, squeezed (1/4)
- I’m a big fan of adding a little citrus to my smoothies because I heart Vitamin C so much. Lemons also help alkalize the body which is especially important for those of us who eat processed foods, white flours or sugar which upsetting blood pH and can make it acidic.
5. Almond Milk (you can also use water, coconut water or other milk)
- Almond milk has about 50% of your daily recommended serving of Vitamin E, one of the antioxidants essential to protecting skin health. It’s lactose free, and contains healthy Omega fats that help prevent high blood pressure and heart disease. Look for unsweetened almond milk with as few additional ingredients as possible.
6. I ❤️Vanilla Protein Powder (1 serving – 30G)
- My brand Whole Betty makes this organic plant-based protein powder that has a blend of pea, pumpkin seed, cranberry seed and chia seeds. I love the smooth vanilla flavor, mild sweetness (we use monk fruit) and protein content (20g per serving).
Read more about protein powders I use and why HERE.
That’s about it.
I took the opportunity to do some more jump extensions while my smoothie was blending, and once it was done I was so distracted by thinking about drinking it, and how I’d worked up a mini-sweat in the kitchen that I kind of forgot to be in a bad mood and got super productive. 🙂
I hope this little 2-step strategy helps you today, or another day – it’s totally normal to feel down, just don’t let it take over for long!
I’d love to see YOU inside Rock Your Life…
…so I can support you in ROCKING your body AND your life! Get stronger and healthier with a community of rockstars to support you, home workout challenges for a fit body, and fresh new workout classes each week to keep you motivated!