Welcome back Rockstar! Today’s workout has everything you need to get an incredible sweat sesh and muscle burn! We’ll be targeting our back, chest, biceps and abs primarily today – along with a little bonus shoulder strengthening.
While this workout is challenging, it can still be made low impact without losing any of its power. I take mods and low impact options when I start to burn out in my workout, or anytime I’m lacking energy but still want to move.
Do not tell yourself you’re failing or “not doing enough” because you’re doing a variation or mod. Showing up and doing YOUR workout is the right way to do the workout.
Listen to your body and support yourself as you progress. It’s not a competition, it’s a practice ❤️
Grab some optional props – an exercise ball – or a pillow – and a pair of weighted objects (water bottles, dumbbells, or any household items) and let’s smash this together!
Listen for the breakdown for different fitness levels and form cues so you know how to make each move right for where you’re at and keep working on your goals!
Did you enjoy this workout? Then you will LOVE the Superwoman Shred Challenge inside of Rock Your Life! The Superwoman Shred challenge is a super fun, high energy challenge that incorporates resistance training, supersets and barre workouts. If you are looking for increased flexibility, strength building, core work and intensity, you will love this one!
Upper Body and Abs SmashClick to expand and see all workout move descriptions.
Equipment Needed: Weighted objects (water bottles, dumbbells, etc) and an elevated surface.
Format: Perform each movement for the prescribed time/repetitions and repeat for 3 rounds. Rest as needed.
Move 1: Squat Thrust (0:45-1:00)
- Begin standing with your core engaged and chest up tall.
- Bend your knees slightly and place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Step or jump your feet back to a tall plank position, keeping your core tight, back flat and gaze about 6 inches in front of you for a neutral spine.
- Jump or step your feet back to your hands, loading your weight in your heels and use your momentum to power up into a jump.
- MOD: Perform this movement with your hands on an inclined surface, like a chair, couch or ottoman. You can also take the impact out entirely by stepping back and forth rather than jumping, and coming up to a body squat rather than a jump.
Move 2: Ball Roll Outs (Pillow Push) (10-12)
- Begin kneeling in front of a stability ball (or pillow) with your knees hip-width apart and your hands placed on the ball in front of you.
- Keeping your back flat and your core engaged, roll the ball away from you by extending as far out as you can without allowing your hips to drop.
- Hold in your extended position for a second and then using your core, pull yourself back while rolling the ball to end back in your starting position.
- MOD: If you don’t have a stability ball you can perform this same move using a pillow.
Move 3: Biceps Curls (8-12)
- Holding your weighted objects with your palms facing you, pull your shoulder blades back and down with your core engaged.
- Keeping the upper arms stationary, perform a bicep curl with both arms by curling the weight up to your shoulder while contracting your biceps (palms facing you).
- Reverse the movement to return to your starting position and repeat.
Move 4: Elevated Chest Press (8-12)
- Start lying with your upper back on an elevated surface (swiss ball, ottoman, pillows), legs bent and heels planted firmly.
- Hold your weights straight over your chest with your arms extended while bracing your core, and engaging your glutes.
- Bend your elbows and lower the weights until they are just above your chest and your elbows out wide.
- Pause, and then press the weights back to the starting position and repeat.
Move 5: Mountain Climbers (0:45-1:00)
- Begin in a tall plank position with your shoulders stacked over your hands, core engaged, and back flat.
- Keeping your hips down, run your knees into your chest and back out by pulling each knee in as far as you can and then back out, one at a time.
- MOD: Do this move on an elevated surface by placing your hand on the edge of a couch or table.
Move 6: Pass Through’s (ball or pillow) (10-12)
- Lie on your back with your core engaged and your exercise ball or towel/pillow between your feet.
- With your lower back pressed slightly into the mat and your legs bent or straight, bring your legs and arms together to transfer the ball into your hands.
- Extend your body out by bringing your arms overhead and your legs straight out, all while keeping your lower back pressing into the mat.
- Reverse that movement by bringing your arms and legs back together to transfer the ball back to your feet. Repeat this movement back and forth.
- MOD: Keep your knees bent throughout this movement.
Move 7: Wide Row (8-12)
- Hinge forward at the waist to be at 45 degrees with your core engaged, chest up, shoulders rolled back and down, and weights in your hands hanging beneath your chest with your palms facing you.
- Pull the weights out to the side and away from your body while squeezing your back muscles like you’re pinching the base of your shoulder blades together.
- Slowly lower the weights down again to the starting position and repeat.
Awesome job Rockstar! Feel free to follow up this workout with some additional full body stretches. A flexible body is a STRONG body!
I’d love to see YOU inside Rock Your Life…
…so I can support you in ROCKING your body AND your life! Get stronger and healthier with a community of rockstars to support you, home workout challenges for a fit body, and fresh new workout classes each week to keep you motivated!