You can do so many things with them….
Sweet Potato Tots, Sweet Potato Pie
Some of the reasons I like including them (aside from their wonderful texture and flavor):
- A good source of fiber, important for blood sugar regulation, letting you know when you’re full and a natural cleanser of the colon.
- Contain Vitamins A and C – to boost your immune system and provide you with an antioxidant boost
- Slow-burning complex carbohydrates that keep your energy levels steady
Choosing Sweet Potatoes
The darker in color the sweet potato, the richer it is in beta carotene, an important antioxidant and free-radical scavenger that has positive association with decreased risk of cardiovascular disease, oral and lung cancers.
Cold temperatures affect the sweet potato’s flavor, so go for room temperature when possible and store them in a cool, dry place. They keep well for 10-12 days, and sometimes longer.
Check out today’s delicious simple and healthy recipe for Sweet Potato Spread, and let me know YOUR favorite way to enjoy this awesome Super Food!
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks - approximately 2 cups
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice - or half of a fresh lemon, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1. Place the sweet potato chunks in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Add water until they are just covered and microwave on high until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir them in their bowl about halfway through. You can check done-ness by poking them with a fork - if they're tender, they're done.
- (optionally you can bake them in the oven, also simple and easy - at 375 for approximately 30 minutes)
- 2. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, peel your garlic cloves and quarter and de-seed the lemon, if using a fresh one.
- 3. In a food processor, combine almonds, garlic, smoked paprika and cumin and blend until well mixed.
- 4. Add the sweet potatoes to the mixture and blend. You will need to scrape the sides several times to ensure everything mixes together.
- 5. With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil and water and process until completely smooth.
- 5. Taste, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sliced vegetables, sprouted grain bread or seeded crackers