Welcome to The Betty Rocker Show, the place to be to nourish your mind, love your body, and rock your life.
This one body we get is capable of so many amazing things. And it does them without us even having to think about them – which is why it’s so easy to take them for granted sometimes.
But if you’ve ever been sick, injured, or struggled with your health, you know how frustrating it can be to live in a body that doesn’t function at 100%.
In today’s episode, I’m joined by Dr. Terry Wahls, Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner and a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Iowa.
This remarkable doctor reversed the symptoms of multiple sclerosis that had her wheelchair bound for 4 years using a functional medicine and customized nutrition approach.
Many of the health-boosting strategies she used to heal herself are accessible, easily applicable, and can be done on a budget. In today’s episode, she’ll share her amazing journey as well as tips and techniques you can implement right away to enjoy better energy, better health, a fitter physique and a longer life!
In addition to teaching internal medicine residents in their primary care clinics, Dr. Wahls is an avid researcher with over 60 peer-reviewed scientific abstracts, posters, and papers. She is also the author of The Wahls Protocol, a therapeutic diet to help readers reclaim their health.
“From her site: I am a patient, a physician, a functional medicine practitioner, and I conduct research that examines how food and nutrients impact health. I have lectured around the world and often lecture in my own community at the local co-op. I am an educator and patient advocate, and I can help guide you with information and support that you can read and think deeply about to determine what feels right for you in your health journey.”
In this episode you’ll discover:
Dr. Wahls’ Story (2:01)
- Her Ted Talk (3M+ views)
- Her symptoms
- Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis
- Her initial treatment course
- How she started to experiment on herself
- The role of mitochondria in our bodies
- Mitochondria supplements for disease
- Why she worked out everyday
- The Institute for Functional Medicine
Dr. Wahls’ Recovery (13:12)
- The Wahls Protocol
- Being able to ride her bike
- Why food is key
- The 4 Pillars of Health
- How we can take back control of our health
How to improve your immune system (18:38)
- Risk factors with Covid -19
- How to protect yourself during Covid- 19
- How to reduce inflammation
- How to improve your immune system
- Simple ways to reduce your stress levels
- The importance of eating nutrient dense foods
How eating gluten free can improve your health (23:00)
- Why it’s important to eat sprouted and soaked grains
- How gluten can cause leaky gut
- What is gluten?
- How gluten can lead to hidden inflammation in your body
- How gluten impacts your health
Dr. Wahls’ diet protocol (25:30)
- The top 3 inflammatory foods
- The importance of eating greens and vegetables
- How to do her diet protocol as a vegetarian
- How to do her diet protocol on a budget
- The importance of cooking your own food
- How you can be proactive with your health
The effects of overtraining (29:52)
- The concept of hormesis
- The importance of rest days
The importance of sulfur rich foods (31:20)
- The importance of glutathione
- How tolerance for sulfur varies from person to person
- Easy ways to include sulfur rich vegetables in your diet
The spectrum of eating styles (33:40)
- The evolution of human nutrition
- Why different things work for different people
- What to really pay attention to when it comes to your diet
- How Dr. Wahls develops her diet recommendations
The Wahls’ Protocol (37:27)
- Why she uses a NeuFit
- Dr. Wahls’ MS study
- Dr. Wahls’ Seminar
- A proactive approach to health
- Focusing on what you can control
- The all or something approach
Inside the food industry (45:08)
- The truth about processed foods
- Why gluten free foods aren’t necessarily healthy
- The politics of food
- Her published studies
The most important thing you can do right now (50:08)
- The importance of improving your self care
- Why you should focus on the quality of your diet
- The Wahls Protocol Diet Cheat Sheet
- The importance of exercise and movement
How to connect with Dr. Wahls (51:07)
- The Wahls Protocol Health Practitioner Certification
- Her Instagram: drterrywahls
- Her Facebook: Terry Wahls MD
- Dr. Wahls’ Website
Love The Betty Rocker Show? We do too! ❤️ Share it with your friends, and subscribe on your favorite podcast player to be alerted when new shows drop!
Love The Betty Rocker Show? We do too!
Share it with your friends, and subscribe on your favorite podcast
player to be alerted when new shows drop!
ABOUT THE BETTY ROCKER SHOW:
Join me for open and thought provoking discussions about health, fitness, and how to stop undermining ourselves – and start taking meaningful action that makes us role models to others…
….and, listen in on my intimate conversations with amazing thought leaders, health care professionals, athletes and celebrities to learn their secrets and insights for overcoming life’s challenges, living longer, healthier, stronger and more #flawsome lives.
New shows are released on a weekly basis during each season of he Betty Rocker Show. Shows alternate between solo episodes with me, and interviews with guests.