To set yourself up for a week of success using my hybrid approach to meal prep, you’ll need less than an hour.
I’m going to make a few staple recipes for the week and explain the why and how of my choices to give you insight into setting yourself up for success.
I’m also sharing some of my favorite personal tips for staying on track with food while traveling, how to menu surf while dining out, how to think of your kitchen the same way a professional chef does, and how to use macro- and micro-nutrients to guide how you build your meals.
You’ll be fully empowered to create your own healthy eating system after watching this video!
Leave me a comment when you’re done watching this and let me know what you’re eating this week at home!
Recipes Prepped in the Video
Shake N Bake Chicken (2:30)
Yield: 5-6 servings
You will need: zip-top bag, cutting board, knife, measuring cups, baking sheet, parchment paper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add half the seasonings, seeds, and herbs to a zip-top bag, then add the cubed chicken, then add the other half of the ingredients.
- Prep your baking sheet with either a little olive oil or parchment paper.
- Spread the chicken onto your baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-22 min, or until cooked all the way through.
Sweet Potato Discs (12:20)
Yield: 4-6 servings
You will need: cutting board, knife, baking sheet, parchment paper (optional)
2-3 sweet potatoes
- Scrub the sweet potatoes with the skin on (if organic).
- Trim off your sweet potato ends, and slice into even, thin discs (about 1/4 inch thick).
- Prepare your baking sheet with either a little olive oil (or parchment paper).
- Spread sweet potato discs onto your sheet. Sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Tip: be sure to cut similar-sized pieces so they cook evenly!
Mixed Greens Salad (20:02)
Yield: 4-5 servings
You will need: knife, cutting board, mixing bowl, whisk
2-3 cups mixed greens
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small or 1/2 large shallot, finely sliced or chopped
Optional ingredients: cucumber, peppers, pumpkin seeds
1 fresh lemon, juice of
2-3 T olive oil
S+P to taste
- Place the salad greens tomatoes, and shallot in a mixing bowl (add optional ingredients now, too).
- Whisk up the dressing ingredients and store separately until serving.
Green Smoothie Set Ups (27:00)
Pick 2 green smoothie recipes that have complimentary ingredients. This week I picked 3 fruits.
I like to set up my food like a prep kitchen, so it’s easy to grab and go things to make quickly, like a smoothie.
Prep your fruit by washing it and packaging it up.
My "go-to" simple smoothie recipe:
- a handful of greens
- half a banana
- an apple
- a scoop of peanut butter
- a scoop of protein powder
- a liquid of your choice (I usually use unsweetened almond milk)
Overnight Oatmeal (38:55)
Yield: 4 servings
You will need: measuring cups and spoons, bowl, saucepan with a lid, mixing spoon.
1 cup steel cut oat groats
1-2 cups warm water
2 T lemon juice
- Add the water, oats and lemon juice to a bowl. Cover, set aside for 8-24 hours.
- After the time has passed, drain the water from your oats. I use a bowl with a rubber lid that fits it, so I use that to drain the water off.
- Add your oats to a pot on the stove top, add in 2 cups fresh water and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until all the water has absorbed. Stir regularly.
- Package up and put them in the refrigerator to store. Easily repeatable for breakfast.
Check out the Overnight Oatmeal: How to Enjoy Grains the Healthy Way
article to see the whole recipe unfold!
Helpful Cooking Utensils and Items:
Helpful Resources I Mentioned During the Class:
Menu Surfing: How to Order While You’re Eating Out and Stay on Track with Your Goals
5-step Food Prep and Recipes Guide: contains many great recipes, and a sample 3-day menu
Top 5 Protein Powders I Recommend: My top recommendations for protein powders that you can trust from the best sources
More Help with Meals and Planning:
What Eating Type Are You? Helpful video blog with an introduction to the 3 eating types and how to use them yourself.
Meal Plans: Shop my best meal plans: